Thursday, September 20, 2012

Energy Bites


For the purpose of attracting good attention, I named this blog ‘Energy Bites.’  But I actually call them Energy Beebles.  I’m not going to lie, it’s mostly for the purpose of annoying my boyfriend, Blaine.

Beeble – anything that is small and/or cute that you don’t know the name for.

There is nothing more annoying to Blaine than when I call something a ‘beeble.’  “It’s not even a word!” he says.  Well I made it up and I think I’m pretty cool, so therefore, it is a word.  He's from Newfoundland and if you know anything about Newfies, they’re the royalty of making up words.

I recently downloaded an app on my phone called ‘Whaddaya App.’  You pick a saying or word in English and it will say it in Newfanese.  I sat on the couch one night with Blaine reading out the regular English sayings and having him translate them before I activated the Newfie way of saying things.  And, not surprisingly, he translated them all correctly.

For example:

"I do not believe you, sir” – Go on whicha by 
“I’m very thankful to you” – God bless your cotton socks
“I am interesting in courting you” – Misssesss, whaddaya at?
“Sir, you are not very smart” – Buddy you’re some stunned you is

And, my favourite.......

“You are unattractive” – you gotta face on you like a hen’s arsehole in the northwest wind

What the hell, right??  Who invented that language?  “Someone awesome,” is Blaine’s response.  And I probably have to agree.  There is no one more friendly, welcoming (and crazy) than a Newfie.

So, I’m thinking that making fun of me for making up the world ‘Beeble’ is not that bad after all.  Agreed?

Anyway, let’s get down to business.  There are many different recipes out there for energy bites.  I have played with different ingredients, and this one came out as my favorite. 

Energy Beebles

Ingredients:
-1 cups oats (There is gluten free oats out there so depending on how allergic you are, this is probably a smart choice)
-1 and 1/3 cups coconut
-1 cup flaxseed (or protein powder)
-1 cup chopped dates
-1 cup peanut butter
-2/3 cup honey
-2 tsp vanilla

Instructions

  1. Combine all ingredients together in bowl and mix
  2. Put in fridge for ½ hour
  3. Using your hands, roll into even balls.

And, that’s it.  Simple, right?  This is a great item you can pop in your mouth for a little energy before hitting the gym or throughout the day as a snack.






Honey is a wonderful ingredient in this recipe because it is known to provide relief from constipation and indigestion.  Studies have shown that honey can help treat IBS and IBD, as it provides protection against damage of the colon and reduces inflammation.  It is also used as a stress reliever to promote good mental health, as its ingredients have a calming effect.  This recipe also contains peanut butter, which is high in calories and fat, but is a great energy booster and has been connected to helping reduce depression.

Flax.  Flax is one of my favourite ingredients to use in recipes, as it is jam packed full of nutritional benefits.  These include fighting cholesterol, cancer, constipation, inflammation, diabetes, and depression.  Flax contains both soluble and insoluble fibre, which assist in regular bowel movements.  Flax is the richest source of Omega 3 fatty acids, which is an ingredient that most people with mental illness lack.  Studies have shown that by adding 2-3 tbsps of flax to your diet each day, an individual’s depression can improve after 9-10 months.

Who wouldn’t want these benefits?

4 comments:

  1. Hahaha! I miss Blaine & his accent. Love the translations :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These sound so tasty! I will have to try them. Always loving your recepies Ashley!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha ooooh newfoundlanders...
    And thanks Hil!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sooo funny! I miss listening to that strange talk!
    I am whipping up some Energy Beebles right now and for half i am cheeting and exchanging half the dates for M&Ms!
    Thanks for another good one!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete