Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Starting out


So here it is! My food blog.  I never would have dreamed of a day where I would be creating a food blog.  The blog part, yes.  The food part, hell no! Now here I am, writing and food-ing.  It wasn’t only until a few years ago that I learned how to cook.  And by cook, I mean real food.  Not macaroni and sour cream & dill for sauce (which, believe it or not, I used to eat on a regular basis) or shrimp fried in a pan with tomato soup mix.  I now have the knowledge to cook using what they call an oven.  And I can now cook using more than two ingredients at a time.
So anyway…this blog is half about the actual cooking and half about the information behind what I cook.  I’ll take my first entry to explain.
Four years ago I was diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder type II and a General Anxiety Disorder.  So for those of you who don’t know, Bipolar is a mood disorder that affects about 390, 094 people in Canada.  Paired with an anxiety disorder, I’ve had many struggles with severe depressions, some ups, and a general irritable mood.  Once I was diagnosed, I was more relieved than anything.  Growing up, I knew there was something very wrong, so now that I knew what it was, I could start my road to recovery.  Through humour and extremely hard work (and, I should mention, support from my family and close friends), I have now found myself to be a fully functioning person.  I would say about half of my recovery has been through diet and exercise.
About a month ago I was diagnosed with Crohn’s disease.  I am definitely still in the process of finding my own path when it comes to this disease.  Now, for those of you who don’t know much about Crohn’s, it’s a form of Inflammatory Bowel Disease that can occur anywhere from the mouth to the rectum and mine seems to be in my small intestine as of right now.  Unlike Bipolar, I don’t know a whole lot about Crohn’s just yet.  But I do know that diet has had a huge impact on my symptoms.


After I received my diagnosis, I immediately did some research and decided to go on a gluten-free dairy-free diet.   And HOLY CRAP (Haha sorry…that’s my Crohn’s joke of the day.  I almost promise it won’t happen again.) I feel 100X better.
My regular symptoms of bipolar have been depression, exhaustion, and some moodiness.  My regular symptoms from Crohn’s have been severe (and I mean, severe) fatigue, throwing up, diahrea, stomach pains, fever, and uncontrollable sweating. Since giving up gluten and dairy, my mood has been more stable, I’m absolutely no longer exhausted, and my bodily functions have been on the regular.
So, now here I am.  I am writing this blog to share the food and recipes (and the odd exercise workout) that have worked for me, as a gluten and dairy free eater to free me from emotional and physical pain.  I would like to say though, that I am in no way suggesting that if you eat this way that it will 100% work for you.  I am still in the midst of my diet journey, but I do believe that a gluten and dairy free diet is the way to go for a lot of people and I'm hoping that I may be able to assist people with or without the same experiences as myself.
Cheers! XOXO
PS. stay tuned for the first recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment