Thursday, August 30, 2012

Gluten-free Pizza


6 Reasons why adults like pizza too

  1. Two words.  It’s fast and easy.  Done and done.
  2. Variety.  For us non-teenage folks, we generally get bored of the same old double cheese pizza every Friday night at 2am after four Gin and Tonics and a Bacardi breezer.  Actually, I can barely make it to midnight anymore.  I don’t know about you but when I was 16 I could down 8 pieces of pizza only consisting of cheese and bread.  You can basically put anything on a pizza and it tastes delicious so as I’ve gotten older I’ve experimented more with different toppings.
  3. Miraculous taste
  4. Because it goes well with a Caesar salad and everyone likes Caesar salad.
  5. Finger food
  6. Miraculous taste

Enter the homemade pizza.

There are many different ways you can make a gluten-free pizza crust but on a particularly lazy day you can find gluten-free crust at a few different places.  My go-to place is Safeway.  They carry Udi gluten-free products such as bread, bagels, donuts, pastries etc.  One of these days I will make a crust from scratch but as far as a lazy day goes, these the Udi kind are perfect in my books.



Lately I’ve been using pesto in place of a tomato based pizza sauce.  Pesto is made up of basil, pine nuts, olive oil, garlic and cheese.  These ingredients contain some health benefits such as minerals and vitamins, but are also high in fat so use in moderation.  I’ve been experimenting with a lot of greens on my pizzas such as spinach, broccoli, zucchini etc.  As we all know, green vegetables are nutritional powerhouses that provide enormous amounts of vitamins.

My favourite home-made pizza

Ingredients:
-Gluten free pizza crust
-Pesto
-Spinach
-Cheese (you can also use goat cheese or feta)
-Asparagus
-Broccoli
-Zucchini
-Cooked Shrimp, detailed
-Red pepper

Instructions:
  1. Spread a couple tablespoons of pesto on the pizza crust
  2. Place spinach flat on the pizza crust, spreading evenly to cover to crust.
  3. Cut up veggies into small pieces and distribute evenly over pizza.
  4. Spread cooked and detailed shrimp over pizza (I usually fry up my shrimp with 2 cloves of garlic).
  5. Sprinkle cheese lightly over pizza.
  6. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until cheese has melted and crust has browned.




Yummay!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment