Thursday, June 7, 2012

Lime Pumpkin Seed Salmon with Baked Parmesan Zucchini

I LOVE SALMON! Truly, salmon may be one of my true loves.  Not only does it taste fantastic, but it is an excellent source of Omega-3 fatty acids, which plays a huge role in strengthening the immune system and helps manage inflammation and joint pain.  There have also been some studies that suggest that Omega-3 fatty acids have assisted in levelling out the depressions in mood disorders.

This is one of my favourite salmon recipes. 


Ingredients:
-Unsalted pumpkin seeds
-1 tablespoon olive oil (some people use butter, but I stick with olive oil)
-2 tablespoons lime juice
-1 tsp grated lime zest
-1/4 teaspoon chili powder (can put on more or less, depending on how much of a bite you want.  Honestly, I drown that thing in chili powder, but I wouldn't recommend that on your first time making it)
-Salt
-Pepper
-1 pound salmon fillet (a 1 pounder will fill up a family)


Instructions:
1. Place the pumpkin seeds in a bowl with the olive oil, lime zest, lime juice and chili powder.
2. Grab a frying pan and spray with cooking spray.  Salt and pepper that bad boy (The salmon, I mean) and place the fish in the pan (if you need to, you might need to cut the salmon into about 4 pieces to fit into the pan).  Cook for about 2-4 minutes each side, or until brown and hot throughout.
3. After it's cooked, put the salmon onto a plate.
4. Put the lime/pumpkin seed mixture into the pan and heat it up (it won't take long).  When it's hot, pour the sauce over the salmon and...

VOILA!! You've got dinner!  Well, part of it.
The second part is the Baked Parmesan Zucchini.  Mmmm mmmm!  Now, I will tell you that I have a love-hate relationship with vegetables.  Okay, I lied.  My apologies.  I really only have a hate relationship with
vegetables.  A friend of mine actually pointed out to me once while we were making dinner together that I seem extra violent when cutting veggies.  I cut those babies up like nobody's business! But I do know how good vegetables are for you...yadda yadda yadda...so I have found several recipes that I really do like.

Baked Parm Zucchini


Ingredients:
-4 small zucchini
-1 clove garlic
-Salt and pepper
-1/3 cup parmesan
-1 tablespoon olive oil


Instructions:
1. Preheat the oven to 400F.  Cut the zucchini into circular pieces.  I put them all into a bowl and mix with the olive oil, salt and pepper and garlic.  Then, put spread them evenly onto a baking pan.  Sprinkle the parmesan cheese over top.
2. Put in the oven and bake for about 10-15 minutes, or until brown.

DINNER IS SERVED! Now, when am I coming over for supper?



I also wanted to thank everyone for the amazing support I have received after my first blog post last night.  It was amazing to hear other peoples stories and it's really inspired me to keep going.

I'll be venturing out this weekend to find the best gluten free products in Saskatoon, so stay tuned for more adventures!

No comments:

Post a Comment